So why save water you say? It rains loads in the UK? Yep it definitely can rain, however in terms of available water per person the UK has less than most other European countries. So it is a good idea to conserve water, not only to help protect against future droughts but also to save energy. The connection between water and energy saving isn’t always obvious but cleaning waste water can be incredibly energy intensive and heating tap and shower water also uses considerable energy.
Here are our top tips for water saving:
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth – it can save 6 litres of water per minute.
- Use the small flush if you have a dual flush on your toilet.
- Take a shorter shower which can use up to 45 litres per minute.
- Put on a full load in the washing machine – this reduces the amount of clothes washes you have to do and saves laundry costs too!
- Put a bottle of tap water in the fridge so you have cold water instantly without the need for running the tap through.
- Report dripping taps which can waste 15 litres of water a day (and put an end to that annoying tap dripping noise).