Whilst it rains a lot in the UK, in terms of available water per person, the UK has less than most other European countries. So, it is a good idea to conserve water, not only to help protect against future droughts but also to save energy (cleaning waste water and heating water can be incredibly energy intensive).
Here are our top tips for water saving:
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth – it can save 6 litres of water per minute.
- Use the dual flush if your toilet has one.
- Take a shorter shower which can use up to 45 litres per minute.
- Put on a full load – this reduces the amount of clothes washes you have to do and saves laundry costs too!
- Put a bottle of tap water in the fridge so you have cold water instantly without the need for running the tap through.
- Report dripping taps which can waste 15 litres of water a day.