‘Friends of Glass’ is a European wide campaign which looks to promote the benefits of glass as a sustainable material to consumers of all ages, and SSO has partnered with them over the 2018/19 academic year to specifically engage students! Glass is an endlessly and 100% recyclable material, yet from our experience through the waste audits within Student Switch Off, it’s often the most challenging to recycle on campus, therefore this campaign is an opportunity to communicate why it’s important to always recycle glass and help improve glass recycling rates on campus.
Glass is an amazing natural product and unlike plastic doesn’t break down into any harmful components to damage wildlife or the natural environment, it can be used over and over again so each time it’s recycled and turned into a new product, energy and carbon savings are made by not having to extract and process raw materials. This efficient recycling or re-use of materials in product design is one aspect of what is known as the ‘circular economy’, and by choosing and recycling glass products you’re helping to take action on climate change.
Visit the friends of glass website to view the 5 reasons to choose glass, become a friends of glass or enter their student prize draw to win some Love2shop vouchers!
At a selection of pilot universities we’re running additional photo competitions focussing on glass recycling. If your campus is taking part, all you need to do to enter is post a photo of you and your flat mates recycling glass on your institutions Student Switch Off Facebook page during the glass campaign weeks (29th Oct- 7th Dec and 18th Feb- 22nd Feb).
Each competition will have one national prize of a Virgin Experience day up to the value of £225 for one lucky winner across the three/four participating institutions. From adrenaline junkie experiences such as rally driving, bungee jumping and go ape to foodie days out at a cooking school or a Michelin starred restaurants there are hundreds of experiences to choose from for one or to share with friends or family. There will also be runners up prizes of £50 and 5 x £10 Love2shop vouchers which can be used at many highstreet shops across the country.
These terms and conditions apply to all competitions featured on online services that are organised by British Glass on behalf of Friends of Glass (or a third party on Friends of Glass’ behalf). By entering a competition entrants accept these terms and conditions
1. The competition is open to all students within halls of residence at the participating universities (Cardiff University, University of York, University of Oxford, Edinburgh University), except employees of British Glass and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
2. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
3. Multiple entries are welcome but are limited to five.
4. Closing date for entry will be midnight Friday 7th December. After this date no further entries to the competition will be considered for judging.
5. The prizes are as follows:
£225 Virgin Expereince voucher for one national winner, per competition.
1 x £50 and 5 x £10 Love2shop highstreet vouchers per campus, per competition
The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice. Voucher terms and conditions do apply and can be found https://www.highstreetvouchers.com/
6. Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges appointed by the Promoter by Friday 16th November. The prizes will be awarded to the entries deemed to be the most creative, in the opinion of the judges. The decision of the judges is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
7. The winner will be notified by email and/or Direct Message on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted to claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
8. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry – the entrant is the person who submits the photo. The entrant has consent of the person pictured or is the parent/legal guardian if the person pictured is under 16 years of age.
9. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will only be disclosed to our PR agency, Third Rock Communications. We will not disclose any other third party without the entrant’s prior consent.